Anyone, regardless of where they live, or whether they are objecting to or supporting the proposal, can send in their comments on planning applications. All comments submitted are considered by the planning officer dealing with the application. 

The best way to make your voice heard is to write to the relevant planning authority to let them know your views on the application. 

Viewing a planning application

You can view current planning applications on the website of each local planning authority.

You can also view planning applications in person at the relevant authority’s offices. You will need to make an appointment with the authority if you wish to do so.

Once you’ve had a chance to look at the application you can form your view on the proposals and submit your comments in writing to the planning authority.

When looking at applications online, you will also be able to read comments made about them by others as well as information about what the decision was and why, once it is available.

Submitting a written response

When you are ready to send your comments to the planning authority you can submit them by email or by post.

You must quote the planning application number that you are responding to and include your name, full postal address and the date. Be sure to check the deadline for responses on the planning application that you are responding to.

Your response should focus on those matters that are considered to be material planning considerations. South Lakeland District Council has a useful webpage setting out what issues can and can’t be taken into account and what you should focus on and avoid including in your response.  This advice applies regardless of which planning authority is dealing with the application you are commenting on.

Lake District National Park Authority

Web map of applications

Lists of new applications and decisions

Search for a specific application

Contact the LDNPA about planning

You will find the same information for all other Cumbrian Planning Authorities at the following links:

Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority -

Allerdale Borough Council

Barrow Borough Council

Carlisle City Council

Copeland Borough Council

Eden District Council

South Lakeland District Council

Cumbria County Council