The following guidance applies to the Planning Authority for the Lake District National Park - Links to other Cumbrian planning authorities are available at the foot of this page

Anyone, regardless where they live, can send in their comments to the planning authority. All comments submitted are considered by the planning officer dealing with the application. It is helpful and will give your response more impact if you cover issues that are relevant to the application under planning law and policy.

The best way to make your voice heard is to write to the Lake District National Park Authority (who is the Planning Authority for the national park) with your views on the application. Anyone can make comments on a planning application regardless of where you live, whether you are objecting or supporting the proposal. Below is a guide to commenting on a planning application:

Viewing a planning application

You can view current planning applications online at:

You can also view planning applications in person at the Lake District National Park Authority Offices at Murley Moss Business Park in Kendal. If you want to see planning applications in person you will need to make an appointment with the Lake District National Park Authority to do so, you can call them on 01539 724555.

Once you’ve had a chance to look at the application you can form your view on the proposals and submit your comments in writing to the planning authority.

Submitting a written response

When you are ready to send your comments to the planning authority you can submit them by email to:

[email protected]

Or by post to:
Lake District National Park Authority, Murley Moss, Kendal, LA9 7RL

You must quote the planning application number that you are responding to and include your name, full postal address and the date. Be sure to check the deadline for responses on the planning application that you are responding to.

Other Cumbrian Planning Authorities

Allerdale Borough Council

Barrow Borough Council

Carlisle City Council

Copeland Borough Council

Eden District Council

South Lakeland District Council

Cumbria County Council (minerals and waste developments only)